Saturday, January 19, 2008

Ironman--next on THE LIST

After seeing a sign in my neighbor's yard saying, "Congratulations Keena! 2.4 mile swim, 112 mile bike, and 26.2 mile run. Ironman Couer d'Alene." I knew I had another one to add to THE LIST--an Ironman. Another inspiration was seeing the Team Hoyt on YouTube do numerous Ironman competitions. At the Boston Marathon last year I was able to meet and talk to Dick Hoyt as well. The Ironman race fills up quickly. The day after the race is held in June registration is opened for the next year and fills up in one day. So I had a full year to think about it. When my chance came last June I logged in, paid $500, and signed up. Ever since I hit the submit button I have had this feeling of "What have I done now?"


My neighbor Keena is a triathlon coach (Coach Keena). I signed up for her class which has been a huge help to me. I get an e-mail each day of the workout I am supposed to do and then each Friday morning we meet at 5:30 at a local recreation center to have specific training and to have her correct our form (swimming, running, biking). There are about 15 of us in her current class (about half males and half females). I have found that triathletes are a different breed--the earlier the better--the more difficult the better--a pretty tough group.

I only see the people in my triathlon class in the very early hours of the morning either in swimwear, biking or running shorts. Well, the other day after one of these workouts I was in Nordstroms returning a belt (too big now with all the working out). While I was standing at the cashier's area two of the girls from the class came up to me and said, "Oh, it's Chad." (They did not recognize me right off out of my workout attire). I didn't recognize them at first either so to clarify one of them said, "Oh, I forget. You have never seen us in clothes." They went on with their shopping and I with my exchange. After a couple of awkward minutes for the sales associate (a local young college student--I'm sure), he asked what I did for a living (he was ready I'm sure to look into a new major). I replied that I was a dentist. He asked what kind of a dentist I was. (I could tell he wanted to know more). Being a little naive by nature, I finally put the whole experience together. I said, "Oh, you are wondering why those girls said that.............."

4 comments:

Nicole said...

Hilarious story from Nordstrom. And I don't know if I ever told you, but I have a friend here who used to work for Rick and Dick Hoyt. I just love that story. Good luck with the training!

aftonicole said...

Do you train at Elevate?

aftonicole said...

I worked there as the receptionists last semester, it's a really fun place! The only mornings I worked were saturdays. That's really great, I wanna do some races next semester, just a little too busy now! Good Luck!

The Finck Five said...

I just saw your blog and Tami's blog role. I am very impressed by with the running. It looks like you all had fun in VA, I sure miss it there, it is much different then south Texas as you know. I went to William and Mary in Williamsburg, so we spent alot of time playing down there, it was so much fun. Good luck with everything and now I can keep up with what you all are doing.
James Finck